Saturday, February 04, 2006

Some Photographs from Penang








I wanted to add more photos the last time, but I couldn't squeeze any time. Been freaking busy with piling work...hah! And currently, I have to handle two projects. My job has been pretty challenging with an exponential learning curve, but I'm gonna make it! Forgone are the days of leisure where I can read and write all day, go to the gym, learn french, travel, friends and family..Hah..now it's just me, bed, work, tuition and still a little writing.

Anyhow, back to Penang. I went to a tropical fruit farm for a BBQ lunch under the sweltering hot sun. We had the opportunity to savor a fruit buffet with at least ten different types of fruits basking in green lush nature. But the heat was a killer. Throughout the farm tour, Clement (my cousin) and I were frantically looking for shady spots to cool ourselves.

Followed after, we went to this thai buddhist temple ( Wat Chayamagkalram) that sits a beautiful gold plated reclining Buddha (yes...all the touristy areas!).

Accordingly, this temple promotes itself by claiming that it houses the 3rd largest reclining buddha in the world. Ah hem! But a little curiosty of mine has revealed something totally different . Here's the record - 1st (Myanmar) Tiloka UShaung 76.8m, 2nd (Myanmar) Shin Tha Lyaung 74.8m, 3rd (Myanmar) Chauk Htat Kyi 65.8m, 4th (Myanmar,Myeik), ShweThaLyaung 58.8m and how does our dear buddha in Penang stand in the rankings? 14th! Hah....Oh well, it still looks majestic. But take note, apparently, there are two more reclining Buddha statues that are not ranked; one believed to be 350m, buried in the sands in certain part of Afghannistan and the other in Kulen , Vietnam.

2 comments:

Clement said...

why poot my peekture?
i look so hideous!
:(

Durrow Gal! said...

you don't...should feel honoured..hehe=)