Thursday, May 11, 2006

Learn how to die and you learn how to live



Monty and I had an interesting conversation today. We talked about death. A grim topic where any sane human being would be so fearful of. Would you have done anything different if your days are numbered? Would the choices differ for people of varied ages? I would think so. Most of us would quit our monotonous working life and then embark on a unpredictable riskier journey (given our leftover resources).

I gave it a little thought. First, I would definitely quit working. After all, I see no long term gain. Hmmm...I would probably hold my own funeral where I am present and where I can hear melodious eulogies of myself. It would have to be a joyous event...like a wedding. There I would give thanks to all my loved ones. Then I'd probably raise money, together with my savings, head to countries that are stricken with poverty and help them financially (in some ways possible). Armed with a camera, I'll take snippets of grateful faces. Armed with a laptop, I'll write a book with their stories and my journey and hopefully, able to create awareness with this published work of mine. All earnings will then be donated to unicef. Rather wishful thinking...but a fulfilling one.

Death by William Butler Yeats
Nor dread nor hope attend
a dying animal;
a man awaits his end
dreading and hoping all;
many times he died,
many times rose again.
A great man in his pride
Confronting murderous men
Casts derision upon
Supersession of breath;
He knows death to the bone-
Man has created death.

No comments: