Friday, January 20, 2006

The Story of a Cow and a Peacork

I would like to imagine I was a bird. Free. Unrestrained. Spontaneous. Just like the clouds in the skies: to form the shapes I aspire; to cast silhouettes to the arrangements I want. Birds are individualistic creatures. That's what I know. Parents leave their offspring once their kids could waft the air.

For me, life was not simple. I was born a cow. A cow with a fat behind, stumpy four legs, and a hide so irregular and stained. I wanted to be different. I wanted to fly. Flying meant that I could explore more places. To conquer the unknown. To flee from community responsibilities. To escape from what many considered as the cow race. If there weren't any restrictions, if there weren't any boundaries... Just me, myself and the world.

Mama saw my frustrated self and ingrained words of wisdom to me. She said "Be fortunate as you can walk. Be thankful as you can talk. Learn to be patient and grateful, as it'd prove to be a useful tool." These words like a broken recorder played its tune over and over.

You see, cows were different from birds. We, cows live in herds. Survival would mean to behave like the social norm and to think as a coterie. We toiled the day, plowing the fields. We earned what homosapiens term as "hay". It was a montonous cycle to earn our reward. The routine was mundane and it involved three basic processes of plowing, eating and resting. Well, I do enjoy the occasional herding moments with my fellow cows.

One day, a creature fleeted by my side. It spreaded its huge fan of feathers in hues of green, bespeckled with "eyes" that glared pompously at me.

"What are you?" I curiously muttered.
"I'm the King of Peacorks. Many call me Ferragon." It brazenly replied.
"Why are you here?"
"I'm here to befriend you." Ferragon gave me an earnest look, one that seemed sincere and true. Seeing a stranger was uncommon, especially one that genuinely wanted to befriend me. I sang tunes of faraway places, many of which were ficticious. I conjured the places and printed faces to my characters. I yakked voluminously till dusk turned dawn. In my tunes, trees were purple, skies were pink and cows could fly.
"You are well-travelled, my friend." Ferragon sniggered.
"Well, I wish I was. I made up the stories. I have been here for my whole life and I want to venture the unknown. Be a nomad like you."
"I do have a home and you are welcome to visit me. It's just 1000 miles away from here. Just head west and once you see a world with purple trees and pink skies, you'll find me." Ferragon assured me with the kindest smile.

For once, I had a friend who listened. I was allowed to believe in my dreams. That night, I pondered over Ferragon's invitation and contemplated whether my disappearance would matter to my friends and family. As I laid there, I questioned the purpose of my presence in mother nature. Am I to serve the community, my individual wants or my destiny? I came to a conclusion. I saw myself packing loads of hay and embarked on my journey. Before I left, I peered over to my mum and silently bade farewell to her.

I trudged across the fields heading west. Drenched with fatigue, I hurried to the huge waterfall ahead of me and rested my weary body beside it. I had the most comfortable sleep and in my dreams, I see Ferragon beaming at me. However, I was awaken by a strident voice, followed after by sounds of splattering water.

I opened my eyes and before me, stood an elf bathing in the waters. The elf was dipping itself in the waters with arms outstretched, creating much ripples.
"What are you doing?"
"I am bathing! I bathe in the water so that waves are created. I do that every single day. Even night too."
"Is that your role in mother nature?"
"Well, you have to understand. There ain't such thing as still water. There are ups and downs, troughs and ebbs. That's mother nature."
"What a weird role you have!"

I parted with the elf, to me a creature beyond comprehension. So I continued my journey, one that seemed so endless and grey.

Thereafter, I stumbled upon two fairies and decided to tarry a little longer. One fairy stationed herself in front of a candle, the other hovered in the sky wailing. The whole scene seemed odd. Curiousity overwhelmed me and I yelled.
"What are you both doing?"
"Hey my friend! Well, I'm supposed to ensure that the candle light will be up for 12 hours and out for the next 12. I know it seems mundane, but it's important. As for my twin, she randomly cries."
The twin fairy was labouriously bawling her hearts out.
"Please pardon my twin. It is a significant task for her. You see, as long as we fulfill our duties, plants are watered and plants will get their sources of food. It takes immense efforts to keep the process precise."
The sobbing fairy blubbered "We do quarrel occasionally, but we ultimately sort it out."
"No wonder homosapiens always say it takes two hands to clap. Adios my dear fairies! Gotta journey to continue!"

Hitherto, the journey had been interesting. I met odd, but delightful characters unexpectedly. The bulk of hay that I carried along with me dwindled. But in my head lay multifarious questions. Why did the fairies work so hard? And so the elf who diligently bathed itself day and night?

"Are you calling for me?" A monkey stormed out of the blue and jumped on my back. I was angered by his sudden appearence.
"Now who are you?"
"I am knowledge. I heard all your questions swimming in that tiny head of yours. Well, listen carefully. Some call it love. Some call it fate. To me, fate is a sort of escapism. Words like "resigned" and "surrender" should never be utilized. Love is the key, my dear friend. Love to make things happen. Love to create destiny!"

At this moment, everything I encountered seemed gibberish. All I wanted was to get to a place of purple trees and pink skies. Not fairies, or an elf, or a monkey called knowledge! All implied preposterousness.

To add to the absurdity, I met another cow, like myself. We were splitting images of one another. I was probably in twilight cow-zone. What's even more farcical was that it had a similar voice to myself.
He said " I am you. You are I. We are images of one another. I am what you think I should be. You are what I think you should be."
"Huh? This is complicated."
" Well, it's complicated to me too."
"Okay. I'm really in cow twilight zone. But I guess I'll learn someday. I gotta get going."
" Yes. I'll learn someday too."

I departed "myself", perplexed of what life expected of my other half.

Up to this point, I travelled far and wide. I lost all hay and turned gaunt in build. I was depleted in strength, but in thought, I was enlightened by my little adventure.

Forthwith, the skies changed to hues of pink and in front of me were rows of trees with purple foliages. It was a breathtaking sight. It was not the colours that astounded me, but the presence of Ferragon that filled me with ambrosia. I ran to Ferragon and recollected my journey to him. The stories engaged him. He smiled with glee and said "I am having a feast tonight. Wear your best and I'll listen to your stories again."

I did as what Ferragon said. I took a thorough bath and waited till my hide was dry. Eagerly, I hopped merrily to the feast, awaiting to have a delectable meal with Ferragon.

At the feast, I was disappointed to see many other creatures. There were bears, giraffes, zebras, and cows too. A large crowd of creatures huddled round Ferragon. I was alone at one corner, endeavoring to mingle with the rest, but to no avail. I was an irrelevent creature. That was I.

I walked to one corner and peered at the glittering stars in the pink skies.

I would like to imagine I was a bird. Free. Unrestrained. Spontaneous.....

No comments: