Sunday, August 21, 2005

More eating, Ming and Shinjuku area











After my well-rested afternoon, I met up with Jeff and Chang (the two other friends that I will be travelling with after the conference, their photo is attached above) and they introduced me to the HPAIR organizers. We went to this economical conveyor belt sushi outlet in Roppongi area (the area where I live) and there were like 15 of us squeezing in this teeny weeny place. Everything seemed so surreal and I'm still trying to grasp reality that I AM IN JAPAN. Well, sushi was freaking expensive and I only ate 3 random plates.

But well, I met new friends. One of which was this Singaporean-Dutch gal called Ming. She is still studying in Harvard and we got along pretty well. We explored Roppongi area and ended up at this authentic posh Japanese restaurant. Eating again..hah. I had some dessert, chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream while she had soba noodles. I invited her to bunk in with me as she had to eke with 4 people at another hotel that night. We went back to my hotel and Ming headed straight to dreamland. I got another phone call from Jeff, asking me to go to Shinjuku (a main shopping district). Shinjuku was vibrant, even at 12 am in the morning. The streets were so busy and teenagers were flocking everywhere. Queer men with makeup in Kimonos, japanese school girls with short skirts and super fake tans, and gothic looking people who don the weirdest clothes and makeup whizz me. Basically, you can dress and do whatever and nobody will give a damn. Quite different from Singapore huh..

By the time I got back, it was like 2.30am in the morning. I met more HPAIR organizers outside my hotel and they invited me for some drinks. I was too exhausted then...went back to my room and ZZzzzzz.

By the way, I couldn't take much photos as my camera's battery went flat on me...



1 comment:

Durrow Gal! said...

wah...you are into the japanese pop culture. I will post some photos of such people later. Heading out to meet some frens.